Monday, November 19, 2007

Ogden in a flash!

Well this weekend we made our quick trip to Ogden for Mitch's niece Ashlyn's wedding. I was asked to make her cake and we decided it would be fun to make the trip to see his family. We don't get to see Mitch's side too often, so we take what we can.
But as all things have their down sides... I came down with a bad cold a few days before, and let me tell you that making a wedding cake and preparing all the things needed while you can barely stand up is... well, difficult to say the least!

The trip down was good weathered and pretty uneventful on Friday. We stayed in their time share condo in Eden Valley, just 20 minutes past Ogden, and it was beautiful and perfect to decorate the cake!

Saturday morning, Mitch woke up with a bad sinus cold, and he is such a huge part of my cake business that I was worried! But we struggled through and after icing each layer and getting ready to start the fondant, I realized I had left the bottom cake stand at home!
So we packed up all my cake stuff and the cakes, and went back to Ogden to do the cake at the church. We finally located something that would work as the cake base, but when we pulled up to the church, we had problems! Obviously, my bottom cake didn't like the curvy roads, and decided to split apart! Lucky for us, we hadn't done the fondant yet! So we pushed it back together, iced it again, and finished the cake... here is the finished product. We even did the flowers on the cake- something new for me! Not bad for a first time job and not knowing what we were doing with the flowers!

I thought it turned out pretty. The happy couple was (I think) pleased and we received many comments on how yummy and moist the cakes were. The top was chocolate cake with coconut pecan filling, the middle was carrot cake with cream cheese filling, and the bottom was a white cake with raspberry filling.
All in all, it was a good weekend and we made it home safely with no problems!

5 comments:

Amber said...

Pretty cake. You should post more pictures of cakes you have done. I would love to see them.

Annette said...

Gee, I had no idea that you had any problems with the cake. And I thought that the cake bottom you used was the one you intended to use all along. You really had me fooled!

Thanks for the yummy breakfast!

Jenn J. said...

The cake is beautiful! I also think you should post more pictures of your cakes. I'd love to see them. You are so talented. Way to go on avoiding a cake crisis. You're superwoman for sure!

Cynthia Johnson said...

How stressful! Great job Carl! :)

Ashlyn Timothy said...

I didn't even know you were sick. I don't think I could thank you enough for doing that for us, we loved it!